If you are worried about the rising costs of medical care for pets, you may want to consider getting a pet health insurance plan.
Like health insurance for humans, pet insurance can kick in when you face exorbitant medical bills for your pet resulting from an injury, illness, or medical condition.
Some pet insurance policies even pay for exams for your pet, although inclusions vary by provider.
If you’re thinking of buying a policy, you may want to check out Petplan.
According to the company, they are the #1 pet insurance provider in the country.
They base this assertion on the fact that they’ve been in business for 280 dog years (40 human years), and that the company has sold over 1 million policies.
Petplan seems to have their act together, and they offer a wide range of plans which can be tailored to meet your specific pet care and protection needs.
Petplan’s value proposition is rather simple: The company makes it easy to get coverage quickly since you can get a quote and pay for your new policy online.
If your pet is sick, you’ll be able to visit any licensed veterinarian you want to receive the appropriate treatment.
Once your pet has been treated, you file a claim with Petplan and wait for reimbursement.
The end goal is protecting you from expensive medical bills if your pet becomes sick or injured, although you’ll have to pay a monthly insurance premium to receive this protection in return.
What Does Petplan Cover?
Like any other type of insurance, it’s important to understand what your pet insurance policy actually covers.
According to Petplan, all of their policies include the following situations:
- Accidents and injuries
- Veterinary exam fees
- MRIs, cat scans, and ultrasounds
- Diagnostic treatments
- Prescription medicines
- Cancer treatments
- Dental treatments that are not routine
- Alternative therapies
You can also add additional types of coverage to your Petplan insurance policy. Optional coverage you can buy includes:
- Behavioral therapy
- Pet loss due to theft
- Advertising and reward fees
- Kennel boarding fees
- Death from illness or injury
- Vacation cancellation
These inclusions cover almost all situations your pet may face, but there are still some procedures and treatments that Petplan policies never cover.
Policy exclusions for all Petplan insurance products include:
- Pre-existing conditions — at least for a while.
- Routine and wellness care
- Cosmetic procedures such as tail docking, ear cropping, or declawing
- Liability coverage for the pet owner
According to Petplan, when a pet has faced a curable condition before enrolling with Petplan, the condition might be covered after an exclusionary period.
How Much Does Petplan Pet Insurance Cost, On Average?
The biggest question for pet owners is whether or not pet insurance is worth the cost. The fact that Petplan coverage comes with so many variables helps it stand out from its peers.
According to the company, your policy cost is determined by a wide range of factors such as your pet’s age, your geographic location, your pet’s breed, the types of coverage you choose, your chosen deductible, and your chosen level of reimbursement.
Since many other pet insurance companies offer set deductibles and reimbursement levels, it may be a lot easier to craft a personalized pet insurance plan with Petplan.
If you only want coverage in very extreme, expensive cases, you may opt for a plan with a higher deductible to secure a lower monthly premium, for example.
Or, you could opt for a low deductible and 90% reimbursement if you wanted to pay a higher monthly premium in exchange for more protection from medical costs.
There are essentially three plans available:
- Basic – $5,000 annual coverage, a $500 annual deductible, and 80% reimbursement
- Recommended – $15,000 annual coverage, a $300 deductible, and 80% reimbursement
- Premier – Unlimited annual coverage, a $250 deductible, and an 80% reimbursement
Here are a few examples of Petplan premiums:
|Three-year-old large breed dog (71+ pounds)||$28.68 per month||$42.94 per month||$60.29 per month|
|Five-year-old short-haired cat||$19.66 per month||$21.80 per month||$29.38 per month|
|Nine-year-old mixed breed small dog (up to 22 pounds)||$42.36 per month||$64.22 per month||$90.81 per month|
Just like any other type of insurance, pet insurance only pays off financially if you have to file a significant claim.
Is Pet Insurance Even Worth It?
But, if you do have to file a large claim, you will likely be ecstatic you purchased a policy.
While paying $40 to $50 per month may seem like a poor deal, those premiums become a bargain if you face a $10,000 surgery for your pet within the first few years.
Also keep in mind that pet insurance offers something in addition to financial support if your pet becomes ill; it offers peace of mind.
With a pet insurance plan in place, you can rest assured your pet will have their medical needs covered if your best furry friend gets sick or injured. You’ll never have to wonder if you’ll be able to afford top rate medical care for them, either.
Finally, Petplan insurance products offer more than just coverage for veterinary bills.
You’ll also receive 24/7 Petplan customer support as well as veterinary coach assistance via a program called PetCoach.
Benefits of Using Petplan
While there are numerous pet insurance companies offering policies that cover dogs and cats, there are some real benefits that come with choosing Petplan over their competitors.
Here are some of the biggest advantages:
- Petplan will insure pets of any age.
- You can file claims without leaving your home thanks to the online claims process.
- You receive 24/7 customer support.
- Plans can be customized, letting you pay for the exact amount of coverage you need.
- Petplan has a mobile app that can let you file and monitor claims with your smartphone.
- Get access to the PetCoach website and mobile app, which provides 24/7 access to veterinary experts.
- Vet exam fees are covered by Petplan whereas many other pet insurance providers exclude them from coverage.
- Petplan offers coverage for dental diseases (not routine dental care) while most other pet insurance providers do not.
- Petplan covers hereditary conditions such as hip dysplasia in their policies..
While Petplan has plenty of benefits that can make it valuable for consumers, it’s not a perfect insurance company by any means. Some of the biggest downsides of Petplan pet insurance include:
- Most Petplan policies have annual limits of $5,000 or $15,000 and you have to pay significantly more to get “unlimited” coverage.
- Petplan does have some negative reviews from other review sites.
- Reimbursement is set at 70%, 80%, or 90%, but you can’t get 100% coverage for your pet’s bills.
- You must pay your deductible (up to $1,000) before your coverage kicks in.
The Bottom Line
If you’re thinking of getting an insurance policy for your pet, Petplan is one company you should absolutely consider.
Their customizable policies can be a good deal for consumers who want very specific amounts of coverage, and the fact hereditary conditions are covered in all their policies helps this company stand out.
On the flip side, you should make sure you compare other pet insurance companies in terms of their reviews, monthly premiums, annual deductibles, and coverage levels before you decide.
Petplan may offer a policy that fits your needs, but you may also qualify for a similar policy with lower premiums elsewhere.
Money and LoansGet the very best deal on Loans, Credit Cards, Bank Accounts and Mortgages.
- Personal Loans Quote
- Homeowner Loans
- Debt Consolidation Loans
- Compare Credit Cards
- Savings and Current Accounts
- Compare Mortgages
Motor Insurance QuoteGet a Quick Motor Insurance Quote and Compare from over 65 Providers.
- Car Insurance Quote
- Van Insurance Quote
- Motorbike Insurance Quote
- Multi Car Insurance Quote
- Caravan Insurance Quote
- Motorhome Insurance Quote
- Black Box Insurance Quote
- Classic Car Insurance Quote
- Learner Driver Insurance Quote
Home Insurance and MoreCompare Home Insurance from over 65 Insurance Providers to guarantee you the best deal.
- Home Insurance
- Compare Gas and Electricity
- Pet Insurance
- Contents Insurance
- Buildings Insurance
- Landlord Insurance
- TV, Broadband and Phone
- Compare Mobile Phones
Life Insurance and MoreGet a Quick Life Insurance Quote and Compare Deals from UK's well known Insurance Providers.
- Life Insurance Quote
- Health Insurance Quote
- Income Protection Quote
- Business Broadband
- Business Energy